Thursday 21 March 2013

Review: For the Love of Jazz by Elke Feuer



For the Love of Jazz
by Elke Feuer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

Restoration architect Josie Fagan takes on a project with lawyer and senator’s son, Patrick Pullman. It’s the perfect match. She needs his endorsement to save her business and he wants to restore his ancestral Chicago home. Love wasn’t part of her plan. Neither was being asked to stay at his home, haunted by ghosts, or discovering she has a claim to his home – which she adores. When she finds out his family may be responsible for her aunt’s disappearance fifty years ago, it’s a race to unearth the truth before she loses not only her business and her heart, but her life.

Patrick can’t deny his attraction to Josie and is willing to take a chance on love since his broken engagement a year earlier. Things become complicated when he learns of their family connection and her claim to the home he loves. He doesn’t believe in ghosts, or that his family is involved in her aunt’s disappearance, so insists they work together. But, when he starts seeing his uncle’s ghost, and threats are made on her life, he’s forced to confront the possibility his family could be responsible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt:

Had she really seen a … ghost? She looked at her wine glass. No, she’d only had one glass, but since when did drinking produce ghosts? Never! Blood pulsed wildly against her temple in fear at what she’d seen — hadn’t seen. The clock on the other side of the room struck one o’clock, startling her. Had an hour really passed?

“Time is the least of your problems, Josie.” Pushing the recliner back to its upright position she looked around frantically to make sure it was really gone. The dimly lit room suddenly closed in on her, casting dark shadows in corners that weren’t there earlier. She shot out of the chair and headed to the light switches and turned them all on. Light filled the room with the exception of the odd missing bulb, and revealed there was nothing there but dust bunnies. She breathed a deep sigh of relief.

Now what? She could knock on Patrick’s door and tell him what she had seen, but what good would that do? The last thing she wanted was her new client to think he’d hired a crazy person. Besides, what would she say? Hey, I just saw a ghost can I sleep in your room? Yeah, that would go over well.

She blew out the candle and picked up the glass of wine from the table, liquid courage to sleep. She made sure the lights in the stairwell were turned on before the ones in the living room were turned off.

She closed her room door and pulled the chain across the newly installed deadbolt lock. Reason told her the lock couldn’t keep the ghost from coming into her room, but it gave her some comfort anyway. What the heck had she gotten herself into?

Review:
I must admit I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into when I started this book but the more I read the hard I found it to stop. Not a huge lover of ghost stories the way the author weaves them into this romance works wonderfully.

The mystery of Lola kept me guessing till the very end but the way it played out was very satisfactory.

I love the romance between Patrick and Josie and how it mimicked the one of Lola and William.

The one disappointment for me was the editing in this book I found myself consistently having to reread sentences because words were either not quite right or missing altogether and it made it hard to get a good flow when reading.

Overall I give this 3.75 out of 5 Great paranormal read for those who like something a little out of the ordinary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Elke lives in Grand Cayman with her husband and two kids. Reading, spending time with her family, traveling, and meeting people is her joy. Writing is her passion. She enjoys her job as a project manager, but her dream is to write full-time and stay home with her kids. 

Jazz and salsa are her favorite music to write to. She sometimes wonders if she’s not Billie Holiday incarnate because of the strong connection she feels to her and jazz. It’s her favorite writing music along with salsa.

She stumbled into writing suspense, and to her surprise found she enjoyed it, along with writing about serial killers. Elke is fascinated by them, and what motivates them to kill. She writes time travel, historical, and contemporary novels to even out her dark side.

Readers can connect with Elke at:






Where to get the book:








17 comments:

  1. Uh oh...editing is a major problem with me. I usually don't even read ARC's because grammar and editing mistakes takes it's tole on my love of a book. Still...this one sounds so good! I may have to read anyway!

    andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's a book buzz killer for sure, Andra.

      If you do take the plunge to read my book I hope it's not too bad for you.

      Delete
  2. I love a great paranormal read and honestly I don't mind a few mistakes, since the story sounds good enough that I won't notice them.

    lyra.lucky7 AT gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your favorite genre?

    moonsurfer123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, don't tell anyone but it isn't mysteries. :-) My favorite is historicals.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review, Melissa, and hosting me on your site. I'm glad you thought the paranormal aspect in the book was out of the ordinary. Very cool!

    That sucks about the edits. It's an internal bug I know the publisher is working on. I'm hopeful they'll get it right the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever had some paranormal encounter Elke? ;)

    shadowrunner1987(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Several times in my old apartment and usually when I was half awake, half asleep. They weren't nice ghosts like Lola and William in my story. They scared the hell out of me!

      My best "paranormal" experience was at 8 when I saw an angel (also half awake, half asleep). That was way cool and not at all scary.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the honest review, I'm glad that the mystry keeps one guessing until the end!

    lennascloud at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no fun finding out what's gonna happen too soon. I like to keep you guessing right to the end. :-)

      Delete
  7. I think this novel sounds amazing. I love a good mystery mixed in with my romance :-)

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea! Me too. You can't go wrong with those combos.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the honest review

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best kind. No fun if they're sugar coated. We'd never become better writers. :-)

      Delete
  9. I like stories that are a little out of the ordinary as you said.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review. I understand what you mean about formatting issues which cause you to reread. To me it doesn't ruin the story, but I understand how some people are bothered by that. I actually find humor in it sometimes especially if the wrong word causes the sentence to mean something totally different. sbereza22(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete